Adding a UPNP Playback device to the ZARA Premium list of controlled devices
Posted by John Cook on 02 September 2014 01:18 PM
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of networking protocols that permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other's presence on the network and establish functional network services for data sharing, communications, and entertainment.
A UPNP device or UPNP compatible device is any device that complies with the UPNP standard.
The ZARA Premium is a UPNP compatible device and also a UPNP Control Point. This means the the ZARA Premium can control various UPNP Playback devices but also be controlled by other UPNP Devices.
To add a new UPNP device to the list of managed UPNP Devices on a ZARA Premium you have to create a new Room:
- open the ZARA Premium Desktop client
- navigate to: Tools Page -> Maintenance Category -> Source Maintenance Sub-Category
- click on Add
- a new window will appear which will allow you set the required parameters for the new room
- to add a UPNP device the External Player option has to be selected
- pressing Refresh will perform a scan of the UPNP devices available on the network and update the Available Devices list
- add this point the desired device can be selected from the list and the unit will automatically detect the adequate settings for it
- after making sure you have inserted a Room Name and Short Name press OK and then restart the ZARA Premium by pressing the Restart button
- you will also have to restart your Desktop Client for the Add procedure to be successful.
Once both the unit and the Desktop Clinet have been restarted a new Room will appear in top bar of the Desktop client allowing you to create and control playlists for that room.